I am always on the look out for materials that will substitute a canvas or panel.
In this case, I am working on a table top I found behind a social club in West Hollywood. Not sure on the type of wood, but, judging by its thickness (and solid weight), this is certainly not particle board.
The table top already had a sateen finish before I began adding flashé and tempera. Midway through this piece, I went over the composition twice with clear spray paint to add a matte finish with subtle texture.
The clear matte spray paint causes the black ink to sit atop the paint with a translucent sheen. I want to bring out the parts that look like scalloped, frosted windows a bit more.
I've been working on this piece since December. Not quite finished. The haiku in this piece is missing a few ideographs, and the last line of the poem is practically invisible. Like the frosted window effect, I want to subtly outline the last part of the poem so it has a feel of clear glass.
Since I cannot expect to have an audience fluent in Japanese for this and other works that use haiku, I often hide the characters in one way or another.